Reversing the Numbness

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What's All This Business Stuff, Anyway?

My friend Molly sent me an interesting question on my Facebook dealio last night.

Okay Bryan, what is this TSGB about? I haven't grasped the concept. Is it a place to network?
So I've been asking myself -- really, really asking myself -- just what the hot new phrase "That's Some Good Business" is really all about. The answer isn't a simple one, and perhaps it's best to start with a few things that TSGB (pronounced, roughly, tisgebuh by the kids) is not.
  • TSGB is not just the first line of a bitchin' haiku
  • TSGB is not just some catchy sticker slogan thought up by some businessman in a suit. (I almost never wear a suit.)
  • TSGB is not just a widely-accepted generational catch-phrase -- it spans generations and has the shelf life of a Twinkie.
So I guess the simple answer is: That's Some Good Business is the hottest new phrase on the streets of the United States of America -- nay, the world. In fact, it's been translated into numerous languages already, much like the Bible and Baywatch. Following are some examples.
  • Dutch: Dat is één of andere goede zaken!
  • French: C'est quelques bonnes affaires !
  • German: Das ist irgendein gutes Geschäft!
  • Greek, even!: Αυτή είναι κάποια καλή επιχείρηση! (for you, Olive!)
  • Italian: Quello è un certo buon commercio! (for you, Zee!)
  • Japanese: それはよいビジネスである!
  • Portuguese: Aquele é algum bom negócio! (for you, Devil Mood!)
  • Spanish: ¡Ése es un cierto buen negocio! (for you, Dora!)
But it's more than just a catch phrase that defines goodness for people across the globe, Molly. It's a lifestyle. It's a cosmic connection with the idea that this world doesn't have to suck. It's a reminder that there are still people out there who believe in giving credit where credit is due, and they're enthusiastically slapping TSGB stickers on the backs of their cell phones to make sure that, while they're carrying on phone conversations, and as long as they're holding their phones in such a way that you can still see the sticker, the whole world knows how they feel. It's like one big celebration, Molly, where we, the warriors of the TSGB tribe, shout at the top of the highest mountain, as if life were one big retro Coke commercial:

THAT'S SOME GOOD BUSINESS!

That, my friend, is what TSGB is all about. I hope that clears things up for you.

If anyone would like to join the That's Some Good Business Facebook group, where you'll be sure to never miss the hottest news about the TSGB movement, you'll be welcomed with open arms. There are no obligations (beyond the initial contractual agreement to supply me with 25 percent of your annual income and a $20 gift card to iTunes), so I hope to see you all there.

15 comments:

Erin O'Brien said...

I'm going to take my pants off.

Anonymous said...

Still laughing about the bitchin' haiku...

Susan Chipley said...

Good God. You've finally lost it completely.

SleekPelt said...

eob: Yes!

rebecca: Yes!

dm: Yes.

Clash said...

That could be the first time the Bible and Baywatch have been used in the same sentence.

That post was some funny shit, Sleek!

Anonymous said...

DM, you made me LOL in the OR.

Sleek, guess i will be needing a few for the OR and my mando case to help this thing go worldwide. Lord knows this world needs more Good Business!

Crusselldrums said...

ahhh... I'm out. I was looking for more of a cult. Thanks anyway.

Helen Mansfield said...

It SHOULD be the first line of a bitchin' haiku.

And I am so proud to be a part of the paradigm. This is some real innovative, thinking-out-side-of-the-box thinking.

Remember people: Work the plan, because the plan works; work smart, not hard, and work, of course will make you free.

And what is with the asinine Ed McMahon "YES!"es?

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster bless America, and in turn bless us all.

SleekPelt said...

clash: Thanks!

raoul: Keep your eyes on your mailbox, pal.

crusseldrums: Try these guys out. They're right down the road from us, pal.

helen mansfield: I really don't even know how to respond, except to say that you've sent my heart aflutter and that to know you are on board to this degree is to know that the sun will rise another day. I can't tell you how far you've risen in my esteem as a result of this comment.

LCA said...

I admit I thought the whole point of this group was to humor and support you while you finished said bitchin' haiku.

I can probably adapt (which is saying something, since thumbs that look like big toes really freak me out), but I'm not sure that releases you from the 17-syllable obligation, implied or otherwise.

SleekPelt said...

lca: I resent that comment, as the thumb in the logo was specifically modeled off of my own thumb.

That's some good business!
The smackdown you gave that pimp
The dirty bastard

Anonymous said...

That post was some good business!

moneytastesbad said...

I ran into one of the Zendik people while in DC a few weeks (months?) ago. I had never heard of them. The guy said they were a colony of artist from WV. He was actually talking to someone else and when I heard WV, I stopped to check him out. He was asking for donations in exchange for this magazine type thing he had. We gave him a couple bucks.

LCA said...

If the thumb in that logo was modeled off your own thumb, I'd be working from my own house a lot more often.

I mean, ew.

SleekPelt said...

matthes: Thanks!

$: So how was the magazine?

lca: I wouldn't make for a very good hitchhiker, I guess.